"Today is the day for each of us to erect those monuments on our own battlefields and mark the place where we began again."

Sunday, September 18, 2011

It's so easy, a Caveman could do it!

Dear World,

       Its late. Really late. I should be asleep. But I don't feel tired. So I figured, hey, why not post at 3 am. The past few days have been awesome. Yesterday night I went up with Mike, Kevin, Jerrica, and Lauren to a cave Mike and I had found called The Green Door. Its actually more of a tunnel.



Anyway, after basically everything going wrong (not having meat for the tinfoil dinners, forgetting the firewood, losing each other on the drive up, passing the trail for the hike up, etc.) we made it up there. We proceed to make a fire with Mike's steel wool and after much coercing (and after Kevin got involved, as he would say), we were able to make fire. We felt like real men, HUH!

After putting the dinners on the coals we started taking lots of night pictures. If you don't know Mike, my best friend and roommate, I should tell you he is a huge photography lover. He's really good too. We took lots of night pictures involving steel wool spinning in circles, and "painting" with flashlights and LEDs. Here's some examples:
































If you want to see more pictures by Mike, go here: "Endless Photography" Mike's Photo page

Anyway, after tons more pictures I haven't shown you, we ate dinner (with Lauren's various cards from her wallet, cause we forgot the forks. I ate with a Costa Vida rewards card), then took more pictures, and talked, and the fire started smoking us out of the cave, while the rain (yes it rained quite a bit while we were there), drove us in, so we sat just at the mouth until the fire died down and the smoke receded, allowing us to fully enter the cave. We soon get settled for sleep. I had an awesomely warm sleeping bag that Lauren (was it Lauren's?) provided me. Unfortunately Kevin didn't get one and slept with a funny train blanket we made fun of him for, and Mike had this super thin sleeping bag with a broken zipper that Kevin and I called a five year old's sleeping bag, because it looked really small for him.

I fell asleep rather quickly, as did Kevin. But apparently the girls and Mike stayed up later, even going for a stroll down the tunnel after we were asleep. They told me I talked in my sleep and snored. Wouldn't be the first time, right family?

Kevin woke up early and left cause he had work, and the rest of us slept til around 10:30. It was the first time I had slept in for two weeks. Its was awesome, even though my back said otherwise. We hiked down and had doughnuts for breakfast the girls had left in their car, then returned home.

Its was way fun, I loved sleeping a cave/tunnel, even if there were weird lobster shaped bugs that attacked us. I would definitely do it again.

Until next time...call me caveman.

2 comments: